Get in the habit of stretching every day whether you garden or not.
Six Positions for raking, hoeing and weeding.
* When raking or hoeing always alternate between a right-handed and left-handed stance.
* Always Breathe out during the exertion phase and in
* Use Ergonomic Tools - long-handled with a push / pull motion.
* Garden for short periods - 1 to two hours maximum unless you are in great shape.
* Rake, hoe or weed in terms of repetitions and sets.
* Always, Always, ALWAYS bend from your knees and not your back!
For more information, my books, Get Fit Through Gardening (2008) and Fitness the Dynamic Gardening Way, are available!
Get Fit Through Gardening Home Page | In a Nutshell | Sign my Guestbook! | Overview | Misconceptions | National Gardening Exercise Day | Get Fit Through Gardening links | vs sports | Swap for a thighmaster offer | Top Questions | Traditional Gardening | Jan2000 article | Feb2000 article | My Turn article | Top Questions | What You Can Do Today | Stretching Program | Dynamic Gardening | Biography | Politics | E-Mail